Monday, August 11, 2008
Better
Kaitlyn is finally sleeping a bit better. Thanks to the Baby Whisperer's techniques, she's only waking up a handful of times now. At the beginning of last week, I was trying out the advice from the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution". Each night got progressively worse, until she was waking up every 1/2 hour. Ouch. (Side note: I met a mom yesterday who also tried the No-Cry Sleep Solution, and it made the night-wakings worse for her too. If you were thinking of reading this book, I wouldn't bother).

So, on Thursday night, we started the Baby Whisperer's Pickup/PutDown method, and it seems to be working. The idea is, when the baby wakes in the middle of the night to try and calm him in his crib by rubbing his back and Shushing. If that doesn't work, pick them up just as long as they stop crying and then set them in their crib again. The whole point is to get them to fall asleep on their own. They do "cry it out" a bit, but you're at their cribside, loving and supporting them so they don't feel abandoned.

We did the whole "cry-it-out" Ferber method with Eva, and it was really heart-wrenching. She was a lot more independent though, so I think she needed it. When we tried to calm Eva at her cribside, she just got angry. Kaitlyn is such a softie- she really needs us to be there to help her and snuggle her. I really think different things work for different kids. I'm glad we've finally found something that is helping Kaitlyn sleep more than a half hour at a time. She is waking up happy again, because she is so well-rested.

And so am I.




 
posted by Teresa at 8:06 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 3:54 PM, Blogger Bloggy Mama

    Oh goodie!! I'm so glad that you are getting more rest.

     
  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Jen Wilson

    Yay!!! Amen to the different kids needing different things, I've sure learned that with our two!!

     
  • At 9:22 PM, Blogger Chelsey

    good news!!! glad to hear it!

     
  • At 7:37 PM, Blogger Unknown

    YaY - so happy to hear there is more sleep happening at your house ;)

     
  • At 9:42 PM, Blogger Jay and Milissa Ewing

    I read this book and found it helpful! The pick up/put down method worked for Aida's naptimes, which then transfered to nighttime...

    I'm glad you're getting more sleep and that Kaitlyn took a bottle. Any more successful bottle tries?

     
  • At 9:44 AM, Blogger Sherry Reson

    Ooohh, I feel your pain and love those cute pics. I didn't sleep through for most of two years and must have made every* mistake possible. My favorite baby sleep information comes from the folks at
    http://www.helpingyourbabysleep.com/index.php