.jpg)
Three years ago, at this exact time (8:31pm), I was nervously sitting at the Hospital, with contractions 4-5 minutes apart, waiting to see if they were going to admit me. Around 9pm, the nurses admitted me, and the adventure began. It was the longest night I've ever experienced, but you were so very worth it. You arrived around noon, the next day. And believe it or not, no one looked at the clock when you were born, so we don't know the time for sure- somewhere around 12:20-12:30. You were whisked off right away, so the Doctor could get you breathing and all (the cord was wrapped around you neck twice), and you quickly let out a healthy scream...which was wonderful to hear. Before long, you were swaddled up, and handed off to your clueless parents.
I remember the first night at the hospital, your Daddy was holding you- your eyes were closed, you body was limp, and I couldn't hear if you were breathing. We started freaking out, and your Daddy ran you all the way to the nurses station to see if you were still alive.
The nurses laughed.
And informed us that you were just soundly sleeping "like a baby".
Sometimes I feel bad that you are the first kid, and we have to learn this parenting gig with you as our guinea pig. But, Eva, you are such a sport, and you are so resilient, I know you're going to make out just fine.
Over these last three years, I can't believe how much you've grown, and how much you've learned. You have been able to sing your ABC's for almost a year, you can name all the letters, and you sing more songs than I can. And you are so hilarious. Just last night, we told you to wrap up your bath-time, and you announced:
"I'm not done." Then, looking at me square in the eye, with a smile, you challenged: "What do you think about that?"
I was so flabbergasted I just laughed. You always catch me off guard. You always make me smile. And you listen well too. When I told you that you were cute, but it was time to go to bed, you complied.
You are a great big sister. Just these last couple weeks, you started asking me if you can play with Kaitlyn. I happily set you girls up with some toys, and you play happily while I do some chores. Your favourite activity with Kaitlyn is playing Duplo blocks. You build high towers, while she watches in amazement. You two are so precious.
Eva, you are growing into such an amazing little girl. A wonderful daughter, that keeps us on our toes. A loving big sister that always showers Kaitlyn with hugs. A fun cousin and friend, that plays and shares. We are so proud of you.
Happy Birthday.
well said - i think most parents are clueless when they have their first ... but sometimes the best way to do things is "your way" the way that you make up on the spot. I think you guys make a great family! hope the birthday celebration was a blast.
lots of love =)