Thursday, February 28, 2008
More potty talk
My darling Eva has a new-found 2-year old disgust for sharing. Like at the park today, she took a turn on the swing, then it was another girl's turn. As soon as Eva saw the other girl on the swing, she threw a full-on, terrible two's, screaming & flailing tantrum. Minorly embarrassing. We had to leave.

Being the smart, savvy Mommy that I am, I decide to take advantage of this new-found attitude in the potty training atmosphere. Up until this morning, Eva has refused to "go" on the big toilet. Only on her little potty. But, by gosh golly, if I'm going to potty train her, it's gonna be all the way. I don't want to be toting a little potty with me to the grocery store or the park, just because she refuses to use any other toilet. No siree bob.

So, to set the stage, Eva and I wander into the upstairs washroom because she never lets me pee alone. I've almost forgotten what it's like to be able to shut the door behind me and pee in peace. But anyways...

Me: (nonchalantly setting her Dora potty seat on the toilet) Mommy has to go potty, can Mommy go potty?

Eva: NO!

Me: But, it's Mommy's turn.

Eva: (inching towards the toilet) NO!

Me: Eva, Mommy needs a turn.

Eva: (launches herself over the toilet as if to claim it) NOO! Eva's turn.

Me: Well, ok, you can have a quick turn.

Eva: (Climbs up onto the stool and asks for help to sit on the potty...bwah ha ha ha my plan is working. She turns around to play with the "flusher") Flush flush flush...

Me: Eva, you can flush the toilet after you pee. You have to pee first, ok?

Eva: (thinks about it for a minute, then drumroll please....commences her first pee on the big toilet)

And that sums up my morning: success on the "big potty" and a big, fat tantrum at the park. Oh, and she didn't eat her Timbits at Tim Hortons. What's up with that?
 
posted by Teresa at 1:36 PM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I know what you mean by going to the bathroom in peace. ;-) daisy still thinks she needs to accompany me to the restroom whenever I have to go. sometimes i end up locking her out, but usually it is just easier to let her in than fighting with her about it. Anyway, I am glad that you didn't throw in the towel and are sticking to your guns. just don't get discouraged if she has a few bad days in the next couple of weeks or months. just when you think it is all done, she'll probably have a few accidents here and there. that's normal.

     
  • At 5:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    hee hee ... oh reverse psychology. That was quite smart of you!

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Kristin

    Ha ha! That is funny.

    No Timbits! I'd be concerned. ;)