Thursday, March 25, 2010
my kitchen is my haven
One of my coping mechanisms, when I'm having a bad week (or two, or three...), is cooking. I'm actually not that great of a cook. But, with my Barefoot Contessa cookbook in hand, and allrecipes.com at my fingertips, I'm making some winner meals lately.

So far this week, we've had:

Homemade Chicken Noodle soup (broth made from the carcass and everything, yah baby!)
Borecole & Sausage (spelling?) I made my Dutch husband proud
Chicken Stew with Biscuits- Thankyou Barefoot Contessa. One of Nich's favourites.

And tonight.... Balsamic Roasted Pork Loin with Roasted Winter Vegetables on the side.

I am not a very talented cook at all, but I know how to follow a recipe. I remember one of my first cooking experiences in my first apartment:

I was making Tater-tot casserole, and couldn't figure out if I would need to brown the ground beef before putting it in the casserole dish. Surely the oven would cook it, right? Fortunately, my friend set me straight, and we ate a thoroughly cooked meal. But, really, I was SO clueless. Once I even kept the plastic cover on one of my roommates casserole dishes while it was cooking in the oven, because the recipe said to bake it 'covered'. And, yes, it totally melted. All down the sides of the casserole dish, and into the oven.

I've come a long way. There used to be a lot of tears and frustration in the kitchen. But, now that I know the basics, I'm pretty grateful that I can pull of a fine-tasting meal for dinner (well, most of the time...).
 
posted by Teresa at 9:07 AM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 11:45 AM, Blogger Jen Wilson

    Everything I've ever had of yours has been DELICIOUS!!

    But those stories are kind of funny :)

     
  • At 12:10 PM, Anonymous jennifer

    i love that you just admitted to melting the rubber lid. i've done that too:)

     
  • At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Deanna

    I love cooking something that my family thinks is delicious. It brings a great sense of pride.

    But my question: how do you keep your kids occupied while you're in the kitchen?

     
  • At 1:39 PM, Blogger Teresa

    Deanna- yep, keeping the kids occupied is a bit challenging- especially when they're grumpy. But, most of the time they actually play together pretty well. And the living room/play area is right by the kitchen- so they play/read/puzzle by themselves while I cook. (And, I pause occasionally to break up a girl-fight :)
    They're 4 and (in a couple weeks) 2 years old, so they're a little more independant now. I didn't cook much last year...

     
  • At 5:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous

    boerenkool :) YUM.
    i, too, have melted a casserole dish lid. every time we turned on our oven after that our whole house would stink of melted plastic. why do they come with lids if you can't use them in the oven?!
    your food is always fabulous but we're far overdue to cook for you! soon! email me with some evenings that would work for you guys!

     
  • At 6:54 PM, Blogger Unknown

    LOVE IT - I call my Mom all the time to figure out how to do things - have had to look up how long to boil eggs, bake potatoes etc.... think you have come quite a ways - I agree - I've loved everything I've eaten at your house =) Keep up the cooking!