Monday, January 10, 2011
Three months to go...
Well, the Christmas craziness is over, which means it's time to get ready for the baby! We've waited this long to start getting ready, because we knew our December would be so hectic (it always is). So, here's what's left to do.

-Potty train Kaitlyn

We started (again! for the third time!) yesterday. We are fresh out of pull-ups, and I'm giving it two weeks before I'll let myself call it quits and go out and buy more. I'm hoping (expecting?) she'll be at least starting to get the hang of it in two weeks, so I won't have to. But, by giving myself an 'end in sight', it's going to make this a lot less painful. If that makes sense. This girl gets it. She knows the ins and outs of pottying. Back in August, she would be dry all day (and all night!) and pottied all day long. So, she knows. She just doesn't want to anymore. So, in big girl panties she goes, and even though that means accidents all day long, and a bunch of work for me, I hope she gets the hint. Soon. Girl, I'm not backing down. (well, for 13 more days anyways, but don't tell her that).

Oh, and I'm open to any and all advice on how to encourage a (Stubborn, Opinionated) two-year old to use the potty to pee, not her pants. (Unless you're going to tell me to give it more than 13 days. I'm pregnant, exhausted, and I'll ship her to your house so you can see what I'm up against).

So far, she's helping clean up her accidents (when she does it on purpose), and when she succesfully uses the potty she has a sticker chart with dora stickers, she gets a candy, and when her sticker chart is filled up, she gets a Wonderpets movie (which is big in her world). Any more ideas?

-Make a nursery

Oh the fun! I love designing/decorating rooms! And, we've already begun the work. We've transitioned the girls to their room that they'll be sharing. And, have the crib set up, furniture arranged. We just need to paint the change table (it's pink) and the walls. And, add a little "fun", like some pictures or something. Oh, and I hope to finish the quilt I started when I was pregnant with Eva (hi Mom! :)

-Move girls together in one room

We did it! I've been dreading it. Eva's been nervous about it. But, we did it. Two nights ago. And, it's going ok. I would tell you the truth, (that it's going perfectly), but then I would have to knock on wood. Because it always happens that if I blog about something going great, the opposite starts happening as soon as I hit "publish post". Does this phenomenon happen to anyone else? I think Amanda blogged about it once. And, maybe Jen, too.

Ok, off the record, the past 2 nights they've gone to sleep in their bunk bed, without so much as a peep, slept 12 hours, and toddled into my room the next morning, together, giggling and laughing together. Happy and well-rested. And, I even heard Eva say yesterday "I LOVE sharing a room with Katy-kins". Somebody pinch me. Can this really be happening? We started transitioning so early, because I thought it was going to be 2 months of sleepless nights. But, I know, I've blogged about it. It's all over now.

-Finish (or come to a stopping point on) all the reno projects in our house

We live in a perfect house. But, being married to Nich, he likes to make it even MORE perfect than it already is. It's fun. Nich finished and started a project in the front room this weekend: installing potlights. The dark, gloomy room right inside our front door, now appears bright and spacious. So fun!

Projects left to finish before baby boy gets here:

Our Master ensuite soaker tub is un-tiled at the moment. Nich is thinking of surrounding it with wainscoting. Very Pottery Barn. I'm excited for this one. The girls bathroom has half of it's wainscoting up, so that needs to be finished. And, our downstairs powder room needs to get painted. The nursery needs some paint... and I think that's all the partially started projects around here. Nich's list is way longer, but everything else can wait.

Pictures to come, of the girls, the house, the new bunk bed room.... One day soon, promise!
 
posted by Teresa at 3:08 PM | Permalink |


6 Comments:


  • At 5:12 PM, Anonymous Jen Wilson

    1. Liliana and Kaitlyn are SO SIMILAR. I know exactly what you're up against and I know that YOU NEED PRAYER. Ho boy. I hope it goes well for you. Best advice I can give is BE CONSISTENT and DON'T GIVE IN (for 13 more days) because goodness, kids with the Braam gene are STUBBORN like no other. Other than that, the reward thing is the best.

    2. Yay for a nursery! I'm envious you get to do one. :) (In a happy-for-you kind of way.) Can't wait to see photos!!

    3. I hope the girls room thing keeps going well. *knocking on wood for you* (And yea, I hate that blogging about something going well and then it backfires!)

    4. Silly Nick. But awesome you have such a handy husband!

    Can't wait to see photos!!

     
  • At 5:13 PM, Anonymous Jen Wilson

    and THREE MORE MONTHS! WHEEEE!!!!

    (I'm so curious whose kid will be born first! I'm totally betting on yours!)

     
  • At 10:30 PM, Blogger Unknown

    yikes - potty training sounds like a battle!! GOOD LUCK.

    Excited for all the pictures to come - I agree - your house IS amazing! LOVE IT - can't wait to see all the new stuff.

     
  • At 10:43 PM, Blogger katie h.

    what you're going through with kaitlyn is the identical situation i was in with elliott that very first day you started potty-training with kaitlyn the first time, that hot summers day when you, danielle and i met at the park by my place (the day we figured out the lawnmowers and tree-waterers do their thing noisily on wednesdays). i'd tried almost everything except punishment for intentionally going against what he knows is the right thing to do, and danielle suggested trying time-outs, and although i'd way rather reward good behavior than punish bad behavior it did the trick and he was fully trained within two days. just sayin'.
    and as for jinxing - happens to me too, every time i facebook about molly sleeping great or elliott staying dry all night or nobody being sick for so long -BOOM!- that's when it hits the fan. so it's good that you said all that "off the record". it'll be fine. i'm glad to hear it's going so well :)
    i wish nich would put up wainscoting in our house, i love it so much. i can't wait to see the baby's room all done, and even more - I CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOUR BABY!!! i can't believe it's only 3 months away? where has the time gone? i haven't seen you nearly enough, that's for sure!
    long enough comment? i think so.

     
  • At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Joanne

    You'll hate this post:)

    My belief is once you start potty training, you do not go back. Get rid of the pullups - stay in the big girl panties - bribe and give rewards. If Kaitlyn figures out that she only needs to try for 2 weeks and then gets her own way, she'll (not you) have control over the situation. If she has an accident, I'd leave her wet for awhile, so she becomes uncomfortable enough to remember to go to the bathroom. (not trying to be nasty, but if she is wet and cold, then she will understand the concept better). You could have her wear rain pants in the house to protect the furniture......

    I used to take the boys first thing in the morning and every few hours to the bathroom to lessen 'the accidents'. The house rule was that everyone had to try (including mommy) before we went out. I tried to make it a game and have a bit of fun. Also, used lots of encouragement/positive reinforcement.

    Any moms with babies around, for her to see that babies wear diapers, but not big girls?

    She will do fine.......love hugs for all.

     
  • At 6:30 PM, Blogger Del

    De-lurking here! (I'm friends with Jen W)
    Hi. My son looks to be the same age as your daughter and we're having terrible potty-training issues. Same thing as you. Won't go in the potty at all. Accidents all day, doesn't care AND doesn't get motivated by rewards.
    We also have 8 month twin girls and so I have no energy to clean up after him all day. Sigh.
    I appreciated reading your comments.