Friday, October 10, 2008
Cold-fighting
Cold and Flu season is upon us, which is something I have dreaded with two young kids. It seems like they get sick quite often, and I find myself fighting off colds almost constantly.

Over the years, I have picked up some tips along the way that have helped during this season. I am in no way an expert, but here are some things I found that help:

As soon as you feel like you're in the beginning stages of getting a cold- act quick.

1) Rest- Take a nap as soon as you feel the cold coming on

2) Zinc & Garlic - Right before you take that nap, pop a Zinc tablet. And keep popping them throughout the next few days. (Even if you end up catching the cold, research has shown that Zinc will cut the duration of your cold in half) I have found the combo of rest and zinc to end the cold almost every single time. Also, grab some garlic capsules next time you're at the store. These also are proven to help boost your immune system.

3) Vitamins- Make sure you're taking your multi-vitamin every day. And don't forget about your kidlets! A Flintsone a day keeps the Doctor away (yes, I am that cheesey).

4) Hydrogen Peroxide- If your cold symptoms are still in the early stages, and don't go away after your rest, try the Hydrogen Peroxide trick. Tilt your head to one side, and pour a bit of hydrogen peroxide in your ear. Keep it in there for 5 minutes (or until the bubbling stops), drain, and repeat on the othe side. Why does this work? Because the virus that causes colds often enters through the ear canals, and the hydrogen peroxide kills the virus before it enters the body.

5) Gargle- If the onset of cold symptoms include a tickle in your throat, gargle some saltwater. It kills cold germs and provides sore throat relief. Also, during your nightly teeth-brushing routine, gargle some minty-fresh Listerine. It kills those cold germs in your throat, before they have a chance to fight.

And, that's all for now. I'm off to crush half of a Zinc tablet into Eva's yoghurt...

Happy cold-fighting!
 
posted by Teresa at 9:56 AM | Permalink |


3 Comments:


  • At 3:46 PM, Blogger Bloggy Mama

    Whew, I've missed a bunch. I love your no-money weekends, sounds like FUN!! I'd love to plan some times like that, for my family.
    Sending you healthy hugs!!
    ~Elizabeth

     
  • At 11:13 PM, Blogger Unknown

    Rest & hydration are the two most important things to help with the common cold -- zinc is also good for the immune system. I'm not sure if the zinc bottle you have has pediatric dosages (the amounts that are considered "likely safe") but I'm going to send it along to ya just in case: when used orally and appropriately Zinc is safe in amounts that do not exceed the tolerable upper intake level (UL). The UL for children is based on age; 4 mg/day for infants birth to 6 months, 5 mg/day for infants 7 to 12 months, 7 mg/day for children 1 to 3 years, 12 mg/day for children 4 to 8 years, 23 mg/day for children 9 to 13 years, and 34 mg/day for adolescents ages 14 to 18 years (7135). POSSIBLY UNSAFE ...when used orally in high doses. Taking amounts greater than the tolerable upper intake level (UL) can cause sideroblastic anemia and copper deficiency -- that is per my natural med. database ... I know the bottle of zinc i have has 30mg/dose.

     
  • At 9:10 AM, Blogger Teresa

    Thanks Nicole, good to know. The Zinc I have is 10 mg, and I read on a med page that a 2 yr old can have 10 mg a day. But, if your info says it's 7 mg, I'll play it safe :)