Thursday, July 12, 2007
Eating
I've been reading through some books my Mom got me from the library about picky eating. It's a big struggle at our house, both for her and her frazzled parents. I don't understand why she only wants to eat the same thing every day. I don't understand why she ignores every piece of new food I put on her tray. I don't understand why if she accidentally tries something new, she makes herself puke. And I still don't understand what I am supposed to do about it.

I feel like I am blindly going through this thing called Motherhood without any inkling what to do and what's going on. I pick up bits and pieces as I go, but for the most part, I still feel clueless.

Even after reading the books on picky eating, I am still at a loss. They were full of some ok advice- all stuff I have heard before. And tried to no avail. See, Eva is not just a picky eater. She's what one book describes as a "resistant eater". She has about 12 foods she will eat- and that's it. So, I was all stoked, cuz the book described Eva's eating habits perfectly. I thought it was going to have some wonderful solutions. But, it said nothing that I haven't tried before. Agh!

It suggested:

Eating as a family (check)
Place at least one item of food on their tray that you know they will eat (check)
Do not cater to the child's only wanting select foods (no check, cuz then she would STARVE)
And, then it goes on to say that the myth that the child will eat what they need is completely untrue. And with "resistant eaters", they will actually starve themselves and not get the nutrients they need.

SO, what am I supposed to do with all this information? Am I missing the blinking neon sign that holds the answer?

That being said, I was in a complete slump while making Eva's dinner tonight. I did the same old thing I always do. I gave her a favourite food I knew she would eat, and then some "real food".

And then she surprised me...




So, I don't know. I wish their were some magic answer. Some formula I could follow, so she would actually eat. But, I guess I'll just keep doing what I'm doing for now, and rejoice in the little steps she takes along the way.
 
posted by Teresa at 6:35 PM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger Chelsey

    cute picture! looks like she is enjoying the corn!

     
  • At 7:21 AM, Blogger Elizabeth

    I'm pretty sure that it is just a guessing game and as long as you keep exposing her to and getting her to try new foods she will, eventually, try them and hopefully like them because you are modelling healthy, balanced eating habits... at least, that's what we try to do with Hunter.

     
  • At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    So sorry to hear this is such a struggle for you guys. I guess sometimes you just have to do your best, leave the rest in God's hands, and rejoice in the little victories HE gives you along the way. Victories like corn on the cob!

    And I totally know what you mean about this motherhoood "flying by the seat of your pants" thing. Ultimately your child is loved and her needs are met. You are a perfect mother.

     
  • At 8:10 AM, Blogger Jen Wilson

    Oh goodness, I don't know what to tell you on that one. My mom can totally relate as Brandon would not eat anything but spaghetti and lasagna and he was a stick until . . . well, he's still a stick.

    Cool on the corn though! Is that a new one?

     
  • At 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Teresa - I hear your concern - not sure if my two bits worth helps, but here goes - your fatherinlaw's cousin Gord, was the same when he was growing up - if I remember correctly he would only eat brown bread, green apples, milk and peanut butter - my aunt was very stressed, until one day the doctor told her to relax - Gord was getting every single group of foods on the Canada Food Guide - the doc felt that since he was healthy and growing, there was no sense in being stressed - so if Eva is healthy and getting all the food groups, why worry? - she may eventually decide that curiousity is getting the better of her and she is going to eat just like mom and dad - perhaps she is be a bit rebellious and wants to be in control, without really understanding what that means - probably inherited some of my genes (LOL)- anyhow, I'm Nich's "old goat" aunt, who you've never met - but I do read your blog, I really enjoy the pics of your family - keeps me up to date on what's happening in BC and blows my mother away, when I'm ahead of her on all you and Jen's news - good luck with the food - PS - another note - does she have any allergies? - I use to babysit a little fellow, who was very picky as well, but it turned out her had allergies, so once certian things were removed from his diet he was okay - perhaps cousin Gord and maybe Brandon were/are the same