Monday, July 23, 2007
Compliments
Eva gets lots of compliments. And I never know what to say.

Sometimes I agree, sometimes I thank, sometimes I giggle all embarrassed-like.

So, this is my question, to all you etiquette-minded people out there. What are you supposed to say when someone compliments your kid?
 
posted by Teresa at 8:54 AM | Permalink |


5 Comments:


  • At 9:26 AM, Blogger Chelsey

    hmmm...thats hard..

    people mostly only comment on Mayas Size...
    "wow, shes a big girl, isnt she?"

    "yup, shes growing lots.."

    or

    "aww, what a cutie"
    "smile, ya.."..thats all..

     
  • At 10:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    Usually I respond with a simple "thanks" or a "yeah, I think so too." Sometimes I say, "Yup, I think I'll keep her."

    What you've got is good too.

     
  • At 11:05 AM, Blogger Jen Wilson

    I'm the same as Deanna - just "thanks" and "I think so too" or an occasional "I KNOW!!!!!!!"

     
  • At 8:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous

    I guess I'm delurking now!

    Despite the fact that I don't have kids, I am surrounded by kids of all ages, parents in all stages and have participated in hours of parenting talk. (Read: I have no childless friends!)
    So, here's my two cents.
    If the compliment is in regards to your parenting skills (ie: Wow, she sure is a good listener.) then thank them as they are reconizing your hard work and patience. If the compliment is is directed to Eva (ie: Oh what a gorgeous little girl! What amazing eyes etc...) Then prompt Eva to say thank you in reply! Even if she doesn't actually reply, at least she will be learning to be as polite as you and learning to graciously accept compliments!

    Angelina

     
  • At 2:45 PM, Blogger Unknown

    I do the exact same thing you do. Sometimes I agree, sometimes I give thanks, and sometimes I just smile and laugh.